Uniforms and Distinctive Badges – 1914: Part 1
I found this book in a scrapbook belonging to Major General Llewellyn Price-Davies.
Put together and published in the middle of 1914 it was given to officer of the first contingent of the BEF so that they could familiarise themselves with the uniforms and insignia of the nations they would come across.
Interesting that they used colourised photos of Belgian soldiers while having artists drawings for the French and Germans. Something to do with the relative unimportance of the Belgian military to the British perhaps?
Please forgive the fact that some of the photos turned out to be complete garbage.
German officers examining a captured heavy French howitzer, June 1918.
German wounded in a temporary hospital in a French church, June 1918. With a group of captured French soldiers acting as orderlies.
Captured French soldiers being escorted to the German captivity, date unknown.
A French 240mm heavy gun named Jeannette, captured at Terny-Sorny by the German 64th Infantry Regiment, during the Spring Offensive, 1918.
German troops examining a captured French long-range gun with which Laon was bombarded. It was captured at Pargny where the Germans crossed the Somme on 24th March 1918.
German troops in the captured French underground chamber under the Barbarossa crater, 4 km south-west of Chavignon, showing beds, tables, benches etc. left behind by the retreating French, May 1918.
German troops by a captured 14.5 cm heavy French gun at Mareuil, 25 June 1918.
A German trench club consisting of a square metal head attached to a wooden handle by a thick coil-spring.
This is one of a number of identical German trench clubs collected by for the IWM during the war. The fact that three were collected as official trophies indicates that this pattern was produced in some quantity. They appear to be the product of a German military workshop, rather than a commercial manufacturer.
French prisoners carrying German wounded on stretchers on their way to German captivity while being filmed by a German cameraman, c1917.